Online dating is now more popular than ever. Millions of single people are now using websites and dating apps to meet “the one”. These are the things that you should keep in mind if you’re looking to try online dating.
To start off you should decide what you’re willing to pay and what you’re looking for. There are all different types of sites and apps and it’s important to pick the one that best serves your needs. Sites like eHarmony and Match.com are paid and have compatibility tests that you take when signing up.
If you’re looking for something that requires a little less commitment dating apps like Tinder and Bumble are great. They are free to use and you’ll be able to meet plenty of singles in your area. There won’t be any compatibility tests included with these apps though! You’ll have to go solely off of a few pictures and a short bio.
Creating Your Profile
Setting up your online dating profile can sometimes be a challenge. In our experience it’s always good to include a few photos of yourself that you like and a short bio. Don’t give away too much information about yourself. It’s important to maintain your privacy and not reveal too much personal information when first meeting a stranger online.
Beware Of Romance Scams And Other Crimes
Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. It’s full of scammers and worse. It’s important that you be careful when using online dating and dating apps. Try to avoid the following scenarios:
- A match starts professing his love for you very quickly without ever meeting you. This is usually followed by a plea for money.
- A match insists on picking you up at your house for the first date or refuses to meet in public. It’s a good idea to find your own transportation for the first date and meet in a public place. The person you’re talking with might seem normal online or via text, but they could be a total creep in real life.
How To Protect Yourself
The best way to protect yourself when using online dating is by keeping the following things in mind:
- Keep personal information guarded. Don’t let a new date know exactly where you work or live. You may even want to keep your phone number private. You can use a second phone number app to protect your identity.
- Meet in public places and let someone know who you’re going to meet up with and where you’ll be.
- Don’t be afraid to do some digging on social media. We’re not saying that you have to run a background check on a person, but don’t feel ashamed to search them on Facebook or Instagram. You can look up their phone number using a white pages reverse lookup app to find out their full name.
By following some of these tips you’ll be able to get the most out of online dating! Enjoy!